Sunday, October 16, 2011

The Morality and Ethics of Redemption


Blasphemy:
The act or offense of speaking sacrilegiously about God or sacred things; profane talk. 
Heresy:
Belief or opinion contrary to orthodox religious doctrine.  Opinion profoundly at odds with what is generally accepted.

I would like to clarify something for those exceedingly troubled by my personal views.  I am not a blasphemer.  I am a heretic.  While I am sure there are some who make little distinction between the two and find both vile and beneath contempt, I use the word heretic in its proper context and with its true meaning.

I have spoken of Jesus as the archetypal man; the one to emulate to overcome error and realize immortality.  I have also spoken to my belief that christ and redeemer aren't titles for a divine third party but actually reflect introspective metaphysical roles we must learn to take on ourselves for ourselves; as the fabled Jesus did.

Many Christian traditionalists have taken severe issue with my views and some have asked for clarification as to why I would believe such things.  Now, I will attempt to be clear and direct but I trust you will not feel it reflects judgment on you.  It is not my purpose or intent to condemn your revered beliefs.  I only wish to share mine.  I do not claim a higher understanding.

To put it succinctly, I consider vicarious redemption by sacrifice to be immoral... be it animal, human, or divine in nature.  It is reminiscent of an archaic custom practiced by primitive societies where they would ritualistically pile the sins of the tribe on an animal and drive it out into the wilderness to perish.  In so doing, they would rid themselves of their sins.  This is the etymological basis for what we know as scapegoating.  I find the idea that through the punishment of another life my sins can be forgiven to be reprehensible.  It nullifies personal responsibility; the one thing on which all morality, ethics, and our very integrity depend.

This is why I embrace the gnostic tradition of many early Christians and view Jesus not as God but as teacher.  He didn't take away our responsibility.  He didn't undo our errors.  He didn't have a need to forgive us.  He did, however, demonstrate a philosophy for undertaking all of this.  Redemption isn't a single quantitative act.  It's an ongoing qualitative journey of self.

"It is his capacity for self-improvement and self-redemption which most distinguishes man from the mere brute."
 ~ Aung San Suu Kyi - Freedom from Fear

7 comments:

  1. How dare you call yourself Christian!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No two minds think exactly alike. There are as many forms of Christianity as there are Christians. I am a faith comprised of one... as are you. We are the only ones who fully embrace our own exacting expectations.

    Loosen up a little and enjoy the variety afforded us as unique individuals.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you believe there was a real Jesus? And don't you have to believe he was the son of god to be a christian?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Are you sure you read his posts? Check out January too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah... what Adam said. Oh wait!

    Yes I believe in a real Jesus. And yes I believe he is the son of God. Yes I believe he is divine. And like most Mormons, I believe that of all of us. We're all real, all offspring of the divine, and inheritors of godhood. I just add a more gnostic bent on it all. My views on God, man, the universe, spirituality, physicality, individuality, all that aren't so clearly differentiated and distinctly defined. And I'll be honest. This believe comes easy to me now but I know it's VERY confusing to traditionalists. Its something that took years for me to embrace and I'm still trying to work it out in my mind. See August's "Faith-Science Equivalence" to see how truly conflicted I really am. LoL

    ReplyDelete
  6. I missed this post! Oh boy! This actually makes sense. Scary sense.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think this is my favorite post of yours. I reread it on occasion. Check out your email. I just sent you a topic request.

    ReplyDelete